[Ads-l] to "pull a fast one"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 7 20:53:01 UTC 2023

I hypothesize utterances like "That was a fast one!" Add "pull" (perform,
perpetrate) and voila.

The appositeness of the fastball metaphor is that, ideally, the batter
shouldn't even be able to see it, much less hit it. (Hence, "throwing
aspirins.")

Nolan Ryan is said to have thrown a 100.9 mph aspirin in 1974: the official
record, says Guinness.  (Less credibie sources claim it was 108.1 mph.)

Walter Johnson's legendary speed was measured with a "gravity drop interval
recorder" in 1917 at 134 fps, which my limited math skills interpret as
just over 91 mph.

JL