[Ads-l] APA Style Guide on: How to cite ChatGPT

Wed Jun 14 05:04:49 UTC 2023

Peter Reitan  wrote:
> The only suitable way to cite ChatGPT is to ask ChatGPT how to cite ChatGPT.

It does try to answer in a reasonable way. I ignored the specific
advice and employed an ad hoc format for the citation information.

Web Portal: chat.openai.com
Version Specified on Portal: OpenAI ChatGPT May 24
Text generation Date: June 14, 2023
Prompt: I am planning to write an academic article and wish to include
text generated by ChatGPT. HOw should I cite the text?

Warning presented on portal: ChatGPT may produce inaccurate
information about people, places, or facts.

[Begin text generated from ChatGPT]
When citing text generated by ChatGPT or any other AI language model,
it's important to provide appropriate attribution. Although I can
provide you with some suggestions on how to cite the text, it's
crucial to consult the specific guidelines or requirements of the
academic journal or institution you are submitting your article to.
Different publishers may have slightly different citation formats.

Here's a general format you can follow when citing text generated by ChatGPT:

Author: As an AI language model, I don't have a specific individual
author. Instead, you can use the name of the model, such as "ChatGPT"
or "OpenAI's GPT-3.5."
Title: You can use a descriptive title for the generated text,
summarizing the content or purpose.
Date: Provide the date when you accessed the generated text. This is
important because the responses from ChatGPT can change over time as
the model is regularly updated.

URL or Platform: Include the URL of the website or platform where you
interacted with ChatGPT, such as chat.openai.com or the specific web
interface you used.

Here's an example citation for text generated by ChatGPT:

OpenAI. "Exploring the Impact of AI Language Models in Academic
Writing." ChatGPT, accessed June 14, 2023, [insert URL or platform].

Remember to adapt the citation according to the specific requirements
of the journal or institution you are submitting your article to.
Additionally, make sure to follow ethical guidelines regarding the use
of AI-generated text and clearly distinguish between your own writing
and the generated content.
[End text generated from ChatGPT]

Garson