[Ads-l] "clawbacked"

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 17 12:27:16 UTC 2023

If the original story is here, there is no use of "clawbacked' in the
article. In fact, the verb remains split on the Globe ("clawing back").

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/06/13/nation/race-beat-debt-limit-deal-state-doled-out-80m-unspent-covid-highway-funds/

In fact, "clawback" as a single formation is usually used in legal and
accounting jargon. So, a quick search did reveal three occasions in the
past year - one US, one Australian, and one that's likely Canadian. All
three are below.

https://www.mortgagebusiness.com.au/regulation/17414-brokers-fuming-over-unfair-clawbacks

“I’m interested in whether the money that has been clawbacked is greater
than the bank’s cost in establishing the loan in the first place.”

https://www.theadviser.com.au/broker/43671-assistant-treasurer-keen-to-know-if-banks-profit-from-clawback

"There’s all sorts of contractual arrangements between brokers and lenders
— and the government would be very slow to want to intervene unless there
was something completely [wrong]… [but] in my discussions with Peter
[White], I have said that I’m interested in whether the money that has been
clawbacked is greater than the bank’s cost in establishing the loan in the
first place.”

https://boomerandecho.com/take-cpp-at-age-70/

[In comments:]
My husband waited 6 months past age 65 before taking his cpp and oas. This
was so he wouldn’t have any of his Oas clawbacked.

VS-)