[Ads-l] "clawbacked"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 19 15:33:25 UTC 2023

As I understand it, a “clawback” is a procedure in which money paid by the employer into an employee’s retirement fund is clawed back from the employee in certain circumstances, before the money is fully vested.

When an employee’s money has been “clawed back” from his account, the employee has been “clawbacked,” that is, the employee has been subjected to the clawback procedure.

“Clawbacked” would seem strange to me if applied to the money, but seems to obey the internal logic of the meaning of “clawback,” where the noun relating to the procedure is used as a verb to describe a person being subjected to the procedure.

From: Amy West<mailto:medievalist at W-STS.COM>
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2023 6:57 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: "clawbacked"

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Amy West <medievalist at W-STS.COM>

Thanks Victor & Garson for the further discussion of this.

This may be a "duh" point, but that solid form "clawbacked" seems to be=20
happening in the participle (would that be the term used by Huddleston &=20
Pullum) form: "has been clawbacked" vs. "has been clawed back",=C2=A0 or=20
"clawbacked pensioner" vs. "clawed-back pensioner" so perhaps that's the=20
(re)analysis that speakers are making for this form. I think that may be=20
going on in that instance that I spotted: "could be 'clawbacked'" vs.=20
"could be clawed back".

Thanks Victor for checking the Globe article: so some editor at=20
Commonwealth Magazine used the solid form, but also put it in "scare=20
quotes" ( :- ) ) for some reason: either because of it being a financial=20
term or they were uncertain of the form, perhaps?

---Amy West

On 6/18/23 00:00, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
> [...]
>> wholly applied either to reduce the deficit or for the benefit of
>> those in genuine need.
>> [End excerpt]
>>
>> Below is "clawbacked" with a financial interpretation in a Canadian
>> newspaper in 1995.
>>
>> Date: January 11, 1995
>> Newspaper: Times Colonist
>> Newspaper Location: Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
>> Article: Welfare: Child tax benefit won't work
>> Author: Owen Lippert
>> Quote Page A5, Column 1
>> Database: Newspapers.com
>>
>> [Begin excerpt]
>> LLOYD AXWORTHY, in his discussion paper, Improving Social Security in
>> Canada, suggests a Child Tax Benefit (CTB) might replace Ottawa's
>> current Canada Assistance Plan (CAP) funding of provincial and
>> municipal welfare systems. A CTB would provide a cheque to all low
>> income people (on welfare or not) with children. It would gradually be
>> "clawbacked" the higher the family income.
>> [End excerpt]
>>
>> Below is the phrase "downsized, claw-backed and NAFTAed" in 1996.
>>
>> Date: October 21, 1996
>> Newspaper: The Vancouver Sun
>> Newspaper Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
>> Section: Opinion
>> Article: GM has more than its share of carrots
>> Author: Roger Henning (Summerland)
>> Quote Page A11, Column 5
>> Database: Newspapers.com
>>
>> [Begin excerpt]
>> Give us a break with this two-dimensional, cartoon analysis of
>> staggering profits versus even more staggering profits. GM's profits
>> were $1.4 billion last year. Canada's labor cost growth was the lowest
>> of G-7 countries. Workers here have been downsized, claw-backed and
>> NAFTAed into beggary.
>> [End excerpt]
>>
>> Below is an instance of "clawbacking" in 2000 in Canada.
>>
>> Date: December 13, 2000
>> Newspaper: National Post
>> Newspaper Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
>> Article: Jean Chr=C3=A9tien's 102nd lie was a whopper
>> Author: William Watson
>> Quote Page C15, Column 5
>> Database: Newspapers.com
>>
>> [Begin excerpt]
>> The pattern is that, with a 50% rate, the $10,000 guarantee doesn't
>> phase out until you hit $20,000. Fifty per cent may sound steep. Only
>> rich people are supposed to lose half what they make, presumably. But
>> in fact, with all the clawbacking of social benefits and tax credits
>> these days, low-income folk often face taxback rates well in excess of
>> 50, which presumably discourages them from working.
>> [End excerpt]
>>
>> Garson
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 15, 2023 at 7:25=E2=80=AFPM Amy West<medievalist at w-sts.com=
>  wrote:
>>> Spotted this in the 14 June newsletter from CommonWealth Magazine:
>>>
>>> <begin quote>
>>>
>>>    * The Healey administration scrambled to quickly earmark $80 milli=
Geu7ihBh3CxVv0ZSgiucytMY9VLMkLBLAnweT8mAfQgLfYaSaD9XGpjeNOirzxRHSHHNygs89=
teyPM3hZk6Kna-dGFNkiEgzX5eQgHlEZqs0yX-gWoYZe-7q-DI33aawXv5TkkczLh9n4rpzJO=
tLMzR_YJXsupBxefjbaqDBPQH1Vt2g03vuUpUmrpehQ--kaK0f3Ngw8kHAkec642WjQP0HtSz=
gYYY-QeTiDFMfoWLh_PaF72yL8e_Iz-nES4KlwtD&c=3DO7DVjXmxedqo2JnFnJ3YkrN6cX-x=
EdxYyMR7mgEEDRRTNk5_AQvW3g=3D=3D&ch=3DsVPkTeEDW_kks-exIyyRWBwY1ZkcWbGi0vR=
afaSliT972gl4DmMGeA=3D=3D>in