[Ads-l] "clawbacked"

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Mon Jun 19 13:56:51 UTC 2023

Thanks Victor & Garson for the further discussion of this.

This may be a "duh" point, but that solid form "clawbacked" seems to be
happening in the participle (would that be the term used by Huddleston &
Pullum) form: "has been clawbacked" vs. "has been clawed back",  or
"clawbacked pensioner" vs. "clawed-back pensioner" so perhaps that's the
(re)analysis that speakers are making for this form. I think that may be
going on in that instance that I spotted: "could be 'clawbacked'" vs.
"could be clawed back".

Thanks Victor for checking the Globe article: so some editor at
Commonwealth Magazine used the solid form, but also put it in "scare
quotes" ( :- ) ) for some reason: either because of it being a financial
term or they were uncertain of the form, perhaps?

---Amy West