[Ads-l] "clawbacked"

Sat Jun 17 22:35:12 UTC 2023

The OED mentions "claw back" under the verb "claw". The verb endings
are applied to "claw", e.g., "clawed back".

[Begin OED excerpt]
claw, v.
2  a. To seize, grip, clutch, or pull with claws. Also figurative, to
claw back, to regain gradually or with great effort; to take back (an
allowance by additional taxation, etc.); to claw down, to pull down,
to defeat; to shoot down (an aeroplane, etc.).

1953   Economist 21 Feb. 499/1   The Government would also make sure
that..such tax relief was clawed back from surtax payers.

1957   Economist 30 Nov. 804/2   The Commercial Bank is engaged on a
nationalist enterprise—clawing back from the Sassenachs, control of
one of Scotland's banks.
[End OED excerpt]

Interestingly, the OED also has an entry for "claw-back" as a verb.
But the existence of the verb is due to the
misquotation/misunderstanding from 1589 containing "Clawbackes"

[Begin OED excerpt]
claw-back, v.
imagined by Richardson, from a misquotation of Warner (see claw-back
n. 1a, quot. 1589, where R. has clawback as a verb), and uncritically
copied by subsequent compilers.
[End OED excerpt]

[Begin OED excerpt]
claw-back, n.
1 a. One who claws another's back (see claw v. 4); a flatterer,
sycophant, parasite, ‘toady’.

1589   W. Warner Albions Eng. (new ed.) v. xxv. 112   [It] doth make
thy Foes to smile, Thy friends to weepe, and Clawbackes thee with
Soothings to begile.
[End OED excerpt]

Garson