[Ads-l] baseball lingo: to shove (intr)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 20 00:21:23 UTC 2023

So then it refers to the effort (and disregard of the consequences of doing
so--damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead) and not the result, i.e.
domination of opposing hitters.  If that's so, it could very well have
evolved from the poker sense of shoving in all your chips. (Recall our
earlier discussion of leaving it all on the field.)