[Ads-l] proleptic "toast"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 21 19:48:08 UTC 2023

I mentioned the movie's release date in my original post. It's notable that
the two earliest non-"Ghostbusters" examples found so far -- Bill's from
the SF Chronicle and mine from the Kansas State Collegian -- both appeared
in Sept. '84 when the movie was very much on people's minds. (It was still
the top film at the box office that month.)

I checked out the Chronicle cite Bill found, and it describes a Silicon
Valley rally for Reagan's reelection campaign. In addition to the
similarity of "Fritz [Mondale] is toast" to the movie line ("This bitch is
toast"), the article notes that the rally was attended by "hundreds of
teenagers wearing 'Fritzbusters' T-shirts depicting Mondale as a chubby
ghost."

Link to clipping on Genealogybank: https://bit.ly/fritzistoast

--bgz