[Ads-l] proleptic "toast"

Wed Jun 21 21:37:33 UTC 2023

[Excerpt from Ben Zimmer]
. . . the movie line ("This bitch is toast")
[End excerpt from Ben Zimmer]

A review in June 1984 stated that the movie line was "This chick is
toast". The "chick" version of the line was presented in your original
post, Ben. Does the "bitch" version occur in the home-video release of
the film?

Date: June 8, 1984
Newspaper: The Buffalo News
Newspaper Location: Buffalo, New York
Article: REVIEW: MOVIE "Ghostbusters" is willing, but the spirit is weak
Author: Jeff Simon (News Critic)
Quote Page 30, Column 2
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
What Murray has done has polished up an attitude to perfection. He is
the epitome of anti-social doughface cool. He's a born leader for
self-possessed, smut-minded, pub-crawlers everywhere. When he and the
boys get zapped by the ultimate demon in the guise of a Manhattan
she-punk, Murray gets up off the ground, points his laser at her and
says "this chick is toast." It's funny and it's all attitude.
[End excerpt]

Sigourney Weaver was one of the stars of Ghostbusters I and II and she
referred to the cultural resonance of the line "This chick is toast"
during an interview in 1989.