[Ads-l] "pretty much" in 1711 used the way we still use it

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 23 22:18:32 UTC 2023

The feeling I get is that the 1711 "pretty much" is rather more emphatic
than its modern use.

Nowadays it means something like "more or less" or "rather nearly," while
the early example sounds to me like "quite or very much."

JL