[Ads-l] "pretty much" in 1711 used the way we still use it

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jun 24 00:08:12 UTC 2023

Curiously, it seems as though in general adverbial use, "pretty" has
strengthened over time--

 *1* *a.* Qualifying an adjective or adverb: to a considerable extent;
fairly, moderately; rather, quite. In later use also: very.

N.E.D. (1908) has the following note: ‘Sometimes expressing close
approximation to quite, or by meiosis equivalent to very; at other times
denoting a much slighter degree’. In more recent use, generally indicating
a moderately high degree.

--while "pretty much" is a bit more iffy (cites suppressed here):

pretty much: almost, very nearly; more or less; (also, in early use) very
much, considerably.