[Ads-l] fluffle

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 28 20:32:27 UTC 2023

I was recently forwarded this language factoid:

"A group of wild rabbits is called a 'fluffle' and I've never loved the
English language more."
https://twitter.com/mastersrex/status/1315295446584168448

I'm always curious how these things spread, and this one sent me down a
rabbit-hole, appropriately enough. Here's a timeline:

July 30, 2007: Wikipedia user Freeridr adds an unsourced claim to the entry
for "rabbit": "A group of rabbits or hares are often called a 'fluffle' in
parts of Northern Canada."
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Rabbit&diff=prev&oldid=148126554

Apr. 29, 2008: The text of the Wikipedia "rabbit" entry (including the
"fluffle" line) is copied over to New World Encylopedia, a site run by Sun
Myung Moon's Unification Church.
https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/p/index.php?title=Rabbit&oldid=699288

Feb. 17, 2010: The "fluffle" line is deleted from Wikipedia by an editor
("Removed supposed naming of a group of rabbits as a 'fluffle', as I can't
verify it").
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Rabbit&diff=prev&oldid=344646745

Sept. 29, 2013: Reddit user AaronM97 asks, "What's a fact you know that
will cheer me up?" Among the thousands of replies, user AmyEarhart submits
"a group of bunnies is called a fluffle."
https://web.archive.org/web/20130930183135/https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1nexqv/whats_a_fact_you_know_that_will_cheer_me_up/
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1nexqv/comment/cci0rsz/

Oct. 5, 2013: Thought Catalog publishes "30 Random, Interesting Facts That
Will Cheer You Up" based on the Reddit thread, including AmyEarhart's
"fluffle" submission.
https://web.archive.org/web/20131020055608/https://thoughtcatalog.com/timmy-parker/2013/10/30-facts-that-will-cheer-you-up/

Mar. 19, 2014: Buzzfeed publishes "64 Facts That Will Make You Feel
Incredibly Happy," which includes "a group of bunnies is called a fluffle."
The listicle links to the New World Encylopedia entry for "rabbit," which
retained the "fluffle" line despite its removal from Wikipedia.
https://web.archive.org/web/20140319201849/https://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/facts-that-will-make-you-feel-incredibly-happy

And from there it multiplied like rabbits all over the place!

--bgz