[Ads-l] (Request help with German) Joke: Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Wed Mar 15 03:07:48 UTC 2023

On Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 6:50 PM Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would translate "freiwilligen" as "amateur", not "volunteer".

If this was modern German and we are going only to get the letter of the
meaning across I would agree, but to me "freiwilligen" has a hint of the
meaning that they volunteer for a job that isn't theirs. It's not just that
they are amateurish about it. So I left "volunteer".

I might uppercase Candidates of Medicine - it's someone who aspires to an
academic degree.

Chris Waigl . chris.waigl at gmail.com . chris at lascribe.net
http://eggcorns.lascribe.net . http://chryss.eu