[Ads-l] Chat GPT on "gray" versus "grey"

Fri Mar 24 04:54:09 UTC 2023

The Bing Chatbot attempts to provide links that support its remarks.
On March 21, 2023 I had an interesting interaction when I asked about
a quotation. See below:

[[Begin interaction]]
Question for Bing: Who said "Death pulls by the ear and cries. Live
while you may"?

[Begin Bing response]
Searching for: "Death pulls by the ear and cries. Live while you may" author

Generating answers for you…
I’m sorry, but I couldn’t find any information on who said “Death
pulls by the ear and cries. Live while you may”. Could you please
provide more context or information?
[End Bing response]

Question for Bing: Did Virgil say something similar?

[Begin Bing response]
Searching for: Did Virgil say "Death pulls by the ear and cries. Live
while you may"?
Searching for: Virgil quote "Death pulls by the ear and cries. Live
while you may"
Searching for: Virgil quote "Death twitches my ear; 'Live,' he says...
'I'm coming.'"

Generating answers for you…
Yes, Virgil did say something similar. The quote is “Death twitches my
ear; ‘Live,’ he says… ‘I’m coming.’”

Footnote 1 https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/641180-death-twitches-my-ear-live-he-says-i-m-coming
Footnote 2 https://brokenpeople.blog/2017/06/07/live-says-death-i-am-coming/
[End Bing response]
[End Interaction]]

This is fascinating because Bing rephrased the quotation and found a
match. Unfortunately, the supporting link points to goodreads which is
notorious for presenting inaccurate quotations and attributions. Thus,
chatbots like Bing that are attempting to be more rigorous still rely
on faulty data from low-quality websites.

Garson