[Ads-l] Request help tracing (Before Churchill): Democracy =?UTF-8?Q?=E2=80=A6_?=worst form of government, except for all others which have been tried

Thu Nov 16 19:47:56 UTC 2023

In November 1947 Winston Churchill popularized the following quotation
about democracy:

[ref] UK Parliament Hansard, Commons, Volume 444, Date: November 11,
1947, Orders Of The Day, Parliament Bill, Speaker Winston Churchill
(Woodford), London, England. (UK Hansard) link [/ref]

https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/1947-11-11/debates/ab1e1152-6b4a-4d04-ac38-954df6634b08/ParliamentBill

[Begin excerpt]
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has
been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except all
those other forms that have been tried from time to time …
[End excerpt]

Interestingly, Churchill prefaced the quotation with the phrase "it
has been said". Hence, researchers have attempted to find earlier
close matches without success (as far as I know).

Here is a candidate for an earlier close match in 1946. Would you
please help me to verify this citation with scans or hardcopy?
Carefully verifying the date is crucial.

Year: 1946
Title: Journal of Education (for Nova Scotia)
Supplement: Provincial Support of Adult Education in Nova Scotia: A Report