[Ads-l] (One for QI, perhaps) "Is your client aware of [legal maxim]" "In [location] they speak of little else"

Thu Apr 25 17:25:35 UTC 2024

Now, I have been able to access scans of "The Last Serjeant: The
Memoirs of Serjeant A. M. Sullivan Q.C."
The person using the fancy Latin phrases was Sir John Chute Neligan,
Recorder of Cork

[Begin excerpt - please double check for errors]
Like all gentlemen of the old school, Sir John revelled in Latin
quotations, which, however, were almost as unintelligible to his
audience as the new Sinn Fein language is to the Irish people. In East
Cork the legal profession was passing into the hands of those to whom
classics were unknown.
[End excerpt]

The zinger was delivered by Henry Harte Barry as indicated in my

Garson