[Ads-l] "Natty" = 'national champion(ship)'

Tue Jan 9 22:39:04 UTC 2024

Gordon, Matthew J. wrote:
> I haven’t heard this usage but note that there’s a precedent
> for “natty” < “national” in “Natty Boh”  as the nickname for
> National Bohemian, a beer that was popular among poor
> college students when I was one.

In 1985 an article in "The Evening Sun" of Baltimore discussed the
100th anniversary of National Bohemian Beer and used the term "Natty
Boh" as mentioned by Matt.

Date: February 6, 1985
Newspaper: The Evening Sun
Newspaper Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Article:  Chester Peake lends a hand in celebration
Author: Tom Osborne (Financial Editor)
Quote Page F1, Column 2
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
Good old Natty Boh--a Maryland original is still made here at
Heileman's Lansdowne brewery just off the Beltway.
[End excerpt]

In 1993 a student newspaper for Middlebury College referred to cases
of "Natty Light" which I believe corresponds to Natural Light beer. So
there are at least two senses of "natty" in the beer domain: