[Ads-l] Does "The buck stops here'' stop here?

Sat Jun 22 01:18:31 UTC 2024

Bill Mullins wrote:
> > For "euchre" read "poker."
>
> Why should it be read as "poker"?  Why shouldn't it be read as "euchre",
> another betting game that came about at about the same time as poker?

The 1926 commentator in the Cleveland Plain Dealer who wrote that line
about euchre was separated from the origin of the card game "buck" and
phrase "pass the buck" by many decades.

The earliest citations indicate that a buck was used in games of brag
and poker. So it may have also been used in euchre, I think.

Garson