[Ads-l] Quote: Adversity is the trial of principle; without it, a man hardly knows whether he is an honest man. (Reassigned to a rival)

Wed Sep 4 15:36:17 UTC 2024

The quotation in the subject line is usually attributed to the famous
19th century English writer Henry Fielding who wrote the popular and
scandalous novel “The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling”. I was asked
to determine the true originator.

The earliest match I found appeared in a novel by Samuel Richardson
who was Fielding’s literary rival.

[ref] 1754 (First published 1753), The History Of Sir Charles
Grandison In A Series of Letters by the Editor of Pamela and Clarissa
(Samuel Richardson), Volume 5 of 7, Third Edition, Letter 12, From:
Sir Charles Grandison, To: Mr. Grandison, Location: Bologna, Date:
June 4, Start Page 66, Quote Page 67, Printed for S. Richardson,
London. (Google Books Full View) [/ref]

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ow5MAAAAcAAJ&q=%22man+hardly%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
Adversity is the trial of principle; Without it, a man hardly knows
whether he is an honest man.
[End excerpt]

Richardson wrote "Pamela, or Virtue Rewarded". Fielding responded with
the parody "Shamela". Fielding also responded with "The History of Tom
Jones, a Foundling". Richardson responded to "Tom Jones" with "The
History Of Sir Charles Grandison".

The article about tracing the quotation is available here:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2024/09/03/adversity-honest/

Feedback welcome
Garson O’Toole
QuoteInvestigator.com