[Ads-l] Initialism: AIO (analogous to SEO)

Wed Sep 4 15:51:31 UTC 2024

Search engine optimization (SEO) refers to the multibillion dollar
industry which attempts to influence the results generated by search
engines, primarily Google. Now, companies are attempting to influence
the output of chatbots. AIO stands for Artificial intelligence
optimization.

I do not know whether the term "AIO" will succeed in this niche, but
the notion of influencing the output/actions of AI agents will
continue to grow in importance.

Website: The New York Times
Article: How Do You Change a Chatbot's Mind?
Article Subtitle: When I set out to improve my tainted reputation with
chatbots, I discovered a new world of A.I. manipulation.
Author:  Kevin Roose
Date: August 30, 2024

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/30/technology/ai-chatbot-chatgpt-manipulation.html

[Begin excerpt]
. . . New York-based start-up called Profound.

Profound does what it calls "A.I.O." -- A.I. optimization -- on behalf
of Fortune 500 companies and other large businesses. The company tests
A.I. models on millions of different prompts, analyzing their
then use this information to improve how they appear in chatbots'
answers.

Mr. Cadwallader and Mr. Babbs believe that A.I.O. is the natural
successor to S.E.O. -- search engine optimization, the $68 billion
industry that grew up around businesses and publishers trying to boost
their rankings on Google and other search engines.

Now, companies are eager to insert themselves into chatbot responses,
so that when a ChatGPT or Gemini user asks "What's the best restaurant
in Dallas?" or "Which S.U.V. should I buy?" the chatbot recommends
their products.
[End excerpt]

Garson