[Ads-l] magic number

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Sep 15 00:23:02 UTC 2024

No early cites; I remember "magic number" from the mid-1950s and I know it
was around before then. I'm wondering about the obviously parasitic "tragic
number", for the number of losses (or wins by the team with the next worst
record) that it will take for the team in question to be eliminated (from
contention for a division or league championship or wildcard slot).  Much
more recent than "magic number" I'm sure.

LH