[Ads-l] magic number

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 15 05:54:05 UTC 2024

I wrote about baseball's "magic number" for the WSJ in 2021.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/magic-number-baseballs-mystical-end-of-season-calculus-11633039077?st=VHECWy&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

An excerpt, with links:

---
In the early 20th century, "magic number" came to be applied to targets
that a team might have at the end of a season. [John] Thorn discovered a
September 1912 article in the Detroit Times  leading with the news that
"the digit '4' is the magic number in the big league races today." In the
American League, the Boston Red Sox needed four wins to match the
single-season record, and in the National League, the New York Giants were
"only four games separated" from winning the pennant.
https://newspaperarchive.com/sports-clipping-sep-24-1912-2721781/

Twenty-five years later, in 1937, an Associated Press wire story in the
News-Journal of Clovis, New Mexico, appeared with the subheading, "Six is
Magic Number," explaining that "any combination of six—six wins for the
Giants, six losses for the Cubs, or a sum making that total—clinches the
pennant for the New Yorkers."
https://www.newspapers.com/article/clovis-news-journal-magic-number/36262299/

The phrasing would catch on in baseball coverage in the early 1940s, with
the New York Daily News trumpeting the "magic number" of local teams or, as
they sometimes called it, the "charmed number."
https://www.newspapers.com/article/daily-news-magic-number/86173993/
https://www.newspapers.com/article/daily-news-magic-number/86174191/
---