[Ads-l] Quote Origin: I Had Exactly Four Seconds To Hot Up the Disintegrator, and Google Had Told Me It Wasn't Enough

Tue Sep 17 02:02:52 UTC 2024

The popular writer of detective fiction Raymond Chandler crafted the
statement in the subject line in 1953.
Was Chandler a secret time traveler? Probably not.

Chandler wrote a letter to his friend which contained a jargon-filled
passage mocking science fiction:

[Begin excerpt]
Did you ever read what they call Science Fiction. It's a scream. It is
written like this: "I checked out with K 19 on Aldabaran III, and
stepped out through the crummalite hatch on my 22 Model Sirus Hardtop.
. . .
The sudden brightness swung me around and the Fourth Moon had already
risen. I had exactly four seconds to hot up the disintegrator and
Google had told me it wasn’t enough. He was right."
They pay brisk money for this crap?
[End excerpt]

Were the founders of the company that became Google, Sergey Brin and
Larry Page, inspired by Chandler's words? Probably not.

The name of the search engine Google was inspired by the enormous
number googol which is 10^100. Larry Page misspelled the word when he
selected the name and registered the internet address according to the
book "In the Plex" by journalist Steven Levy.

Here is a link to the QI article.
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2024/09/16/hot-sf/

Feedback welcome
Garson