[Ads-l] Ax/Tree proverb

Fri Sep 20 23:01:17 UTC 2024

Barry lists an excellent 1977 citation in English:
Revolution in the Third World (1977) by Gérard Chaliand

[Begin excerpt]
When the axe came into the forest, the trees said: the handle is one of us.
TURKISH PROVERB
[End excerpt]

I looked in a wonderful scholarly book on Turkish Proverbs and found
two pertinent entries that point to an 1885 book and a 1965 book. I
have not yet examined these two books.

[ref] 2012 (1993 First Printing), A Dictionary of Turkish Proverbs,
Compiled by Metin Yurtbaşı, Topic: Ingratitude, Quote Page 232,
Published by Mehmet Başpehlivan, Excellence Publishing. (Verified with
scans) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Ormana (bir) balta girmiş sapı yine kendisinden (imiş).
An ax went into the woods and its handle was of itself. ET 796
[End excerpt]

This citation uses the ET abbreviation to point to the following:
ET = Ebüzziya Tevfik, Durüb-ı Emsâl-i Osmaniyye (Oltoman Proverbs), 1885.

[ref] 2012 (1993 First Printing), A Dictionary of Turkish Proverbs,
Compiled by Metin Yurtbaşı, Topic: Ingratitude, Quote Page 231,
Published by Mehmet Başpehlivan, Excellence Publishing. (Verified with
scans) [/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
Ağaca balta vurmuşlar, “Sapı bedenimden” demiş.
They struck at the tree with an ax; and the tree said: “The handle is
made from my body.” [It is the most painful blow when it is one's own
child or someone you have protected who sets out to harm him.]
ÖAA 85 < ET 160

The axe goes to the wood from whence it borrowed its helve.
John Ray, Adagia Hebraica. No. 1 (1678)

The sandal tree perfumes the axe that fells it.
[End excerpt]

The above citation points to the following books:
ÖAA = Ömer Asim Aksoy, Atasözleri Sözlüyü (Dictionary of Proverbs),
Ankara, 1965.
ET = Ebüzziya Tevfik, Durüb-ı Emsâl-i Osmaniyye (Oltoman Proverbs), 1885.

I also used Google Translate to find what appears to be a pertinent
1970 match in the Internet Archive:

[Begin excerpt]
TÜRK DİLİ
AYLIK DİL VE EDEBİYAT DERGİSİ
Yıl 19, Cih XXI, Sayı 221, 1 Şubat 1970
[End excerpt]

[Begin Google Translate]
TURKISH LANGUAGE
MONTHLY LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE JOURNAL
Year 19, Volume XXI, Issue 221, February 1, 1970
[End Google Translate]

[Begin excerpt]
AĞACA BALTA VURMUŞLAR “SAPI BEDENİMDEN” DEMİŞ
[End excerpt]

[Begin Google Translate]
THEY HIT THE TREE WITH AN AXE AND SAID “THE HANDLE IS FROM MY BODY”
[End Google Translate]

Garson