[Ads-l] Catchphrase: The spice must flow

dave@wilton.net dave at WILTON.NET
Thu Sep 17 13:01:03 UTC 2026


It's not in the book. The closest I can find is:
 
Herbert. Frank. Dune (1965). New York: Ace Books, 1984, 462. Archive.org. [ https://archive.org/details/dune0000herb_a7n1/page/n3/mode/2up ]( https://archive.org/details/dune0000herb_a7n1/page/n3/mode/2up )
 
"The spice flow, that’s their river, and I have built a dam. But my dam is such that you cannot destroy it without destroying the river."
 
The archive.org copy is "removed," but you can still run searches on the text. This quote was in the search results for the word "flow."
 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: "ADSGarson O'Toole" <00001aa1be50b751-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2026 12:58pm
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: [ADS-L] Catchphrase: The spice must flow



When Jesse mentioned "spice" in Dune it reminded me of the
catchphrase, "The spice must flow". Apparently, this catchphrase
originated with the 1984 movie version of "Dune" and not the 1965
book. I have not verified this.



------------------------------------------------------------
The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org


More information about the Ads-l mailing list