[An-lang] Coordinate structures in Indonesian

william-davies at uiowa.edu william-davies at uiowa.edu
Fri Jul 18 03:38:25 UTC 2003

I haven't got an answer wrt Indonesian, but in Madurese a simple coordinating
conjunction seems to be thematically oriented.  So, (1) is unambiguous
(according to my current consultant), and (2) is odd or out.

(1) Ali nempeling Bambang ban epokol bi' Toni.
     A  AV.slap   B       and OV.hit by  T
   'Ali<i> slapped Bambang<j> and Toni hit him<j,*i>.'

(2)*Koceng rowa ngeco'   juko' ban ekekke' bi' embi'-eng Siti.
    cat    that AV.steal fish  and OV.bite by  goat-DEF  S
   (That cat<i> stole the fish and Siti's goat bit it<i>.)

With a more temporally oriented conjunction such as pas 'then' the result is
either ambiguity (in (3),the analogue of (1)) or acceptability (in (4),
corresponding to (2)).

(3) Ali nempeling Bambang pas epokol bi' Toni.
   'Ali<i> slapped Bambang<j>, then Toni hit him<i,j>.'

(4) Koceng rowa ngeco' pas ekekke' bi' embi'eng Siti.
   'That cat stole the fish, then Siti's got bit it.'

Bill Davies

----- End forwarded message -----