sula 'island'

David Mead mead2368 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 25 20:17:16 UTC 2010

Wikipedia reports the 'factoid' that the name of
the large island Sulawesi in Indonesia comes from
sula 'island' + besi 'iron', owing to the iron
exports for which it was at one time famous.

My question is, in what language does sula mean 'island'?

I've been looking hither and yon without success,
and even the entry for 'island' in Tryon's
Comparative Austronesian Dictionary provides no
clues.  Google searches of course turn up the
Sula Islands or Sula Arcchipelago in North
Maluku, but that doesn't get me any closer etymology-wise.

Thanks much,

David

P.S.  The etymology I had 'learned' years ago was
that Celebes/Sulawesi came from sula 'fishing
spear' (< Sanskrit) + besi 'iron'.  I think I got
this from Abendanon, but need to recheck to make
sure this indeed was my source.

Abendanon, E. C. 1916–1918. Voyages géologiques
et géographiques à travers la Célèbes Centrale
[Geological and geographical explorations across
Central Celebes]. 3 volumes. Leyde: E.J.
Brill.  [from pages 1391 and following (volume 3)
contains a history of early mapping and explorations of Celebes]