Prenasalized stops

Paz B. Naylor pnaylor at UMICH.EDU
Mon May 31 20:27:33 UTC 2010

Roger,

I am not sure if what I quote from something I have written addresses your
question.

For all it’s worth, here it is.

         ‘Prenasalisation’.

                  The term, “prenasalisation” refers to the
morphosyntactic process by which nonnasal consonants are usually ‘replaced

             by their homorganic nasal  counterparts upon affixation of a
prefix with  a final velar nasal -ng [-ŋ].  At the same time,

             the final velar nasal consonant of the prefix is usually
replaced by the nasal consonant homorganic to the initial consonant

             of the wordbase.

                   For example: when the prefix mang-/nang-[i] or pang- is
appended to a word beginning with [p], e.g., putol ‘cut’,

             this is what happens:

                         1. the final velar nasal [-ŋ] of the prefix is
‘replaced’ by the nasal

                             consonant homorganic to the initial consonant
of the wordbase [p]:

                             mang- > mam-;  nang- > nam-;  pang-  > pam-

             2  the initial stop [p-] of the wordbase putol  is usually
nasalised  (i.e., ‘replaced’ by

                 its homorganic nasal consonant  /m/ :  putol  > mutol);

              3. mam- + mutol  > mamutol  ‘go cutting (flowers, wood,
etc.’);

                 nam- +  mutol  > namutol  ‘went cutting’ (flowers, wood
etc.);

                          pam-  + mutol  > pamutol  ‘ (instrument) for
cutting’

            There are cases when occurrence or non-occurrence of
prenasalisation (of the wordbase) marks a semantic distinction.

                  For example: (a) when the wordbase  bili ‘buy’, is
prefixed with pam (< pang-),  the initial consonant [b] is retained:

                                              pambili, (instrument/use) for
buying’.

                                        (b) when bili  is  prefixed with
mam (< mang-) or nam < nang-), the initial consonant [b] is  ‘nasalised’:

                                              mamili ‘go shopping’ and
namili ‘went shopping’.

It’s been a long, long time since we last communicated.

Trust all is well with you.

Warmest regards and best wishes, Paz

Paz Buenaventura Naylor, Ph.D.

Emeritus: Associate Professor, Asian Languages and Cultures

               Program Associate, Linguistics

               Faculty Associate, Center for SSEAsian Studies

Formerly: Assistant Professor, Linguistics

               Lecturer, Teaching Fellow, Romance Languages

               The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor MI 48109

  _____