[An-lang] Are there any documented pidgin or creole toponyms in Oceania?

Joshua Nash joshua.nash at adelaide.edu.au
Wed Apr 29 01:32:21 UTC 2015

Dear An-lang list,

As the subject of this email suggests, I am seeking to find out how much documentation exists in pidgin, creole, or any other language contact toponyms (placenames) in Oceania (including Australia). This research extends and contrasts with my work into the toponymy of Pitcairn Island and Norfolk Island.

I would appreciate any names, sources, resources, published or unpublished lists, references, maps, or whatever with anything even remotely resembling what could be considered as pidgin, creole, or mixed language toponyms. (Funny, crass, and even rude names are also welcome.) Even if you have data or sources which do not fall geographically into Oceania or the greater Pacific, I am still interested to hear from you.

Any leads, suggestions, or comments off-list are greatly appreciated.

Regards and thanks,

Joshua Nash