[An-lang] Agabag language in Northern Kalimantan

antonia soriente asoriente at unior.it
Thu Jan 28 21:42:28 UTC 2016

Hi,
I had responded privately to Angela Kluge's post and I think it's better
if I share my information on Agabag here.

I have some sociolinguistic information on Agabag though I have not
studied the language yet. It is spoken by more than 6000 people in
Lumbis, Nunukan Northern Kalimantan. They are also known as Abai and
Tinggalang but I am not sure whether these labels refer to exonyms or to
different dialects. One speaker told me that Abai is the term Putuk (Lun
Daye) people in Malinau refer to them. Agabag comes from the word abag
that means loincloth. They are related to Tagol too (also this label
needs clarification). Some of them say their language is related to
Tidung and to Timogun Murut. I do not know anything about the relation
to Kalabakan.

Thanks to Paul Kroeger for all the additional information he posted.
Antonia

Il 28/01/16 2:55 AM, Angela Kluge ha scritto:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> Have you ever heard of a language called Agabag (or maybe Agabak)? There
> are reports that this language is being spoken in northern Kalimantan
> (the Indonesian part of Borneo) in the area of Nunukan. Reportedly, the
> language is closely related to Kalabakan [kve].
>
> Best wishes,
> Angela Kluge

Antonia Soriente
Indonesian language and literature
Department of Asia, Africa and Mediterranean
University of Naples 'L'Orientale'
Piazza San Domenico Maggiore
80134 Napoli - Italy tel. +39 0816909679
asoriente at unior.it    sorienteantonia at gmail.com
skype: soriente.antonia