[An-lang] Focus in Oceanic languages

John Brownie john_brownie at sil.org
Fri Aug 6 08:55:34 UTC 2021

I'm investigating a preposed particle isaa in Mussau-Emira that appears
to have some sort of focus and emphasis as its main functions, but I'm
finding it hard to get much in the literature to help me (not having
access to a library is part of the problem). Aya Inoue, From Exclusive
Particle to Adversative Conjunction: A Study on the Particle tasol in
Tok Pisin, refers to Sankoff 1999:

"Sankoff (1999:11) notes many Oceanic languages apparently emphasize or
focus through the use of postposed affixes or particles."

The reference is Sankoff, Gillian. 1999. The evolution of focus
particles and related morphemes in Tok  Pisin,  Solomons  Island Pidgin
and  Bislama.  Workshop  on  Culture  and  Communicative Practice
Special session: Continuity and Innovation in Pidgin and Creole
Languages. Northwestern University. I have been unable to find the
article, and scanning Lynch, Crowley & Ross 2002 has not provided a
great deal of data.

What I found was a suffix -re in Tobati, an enclitic =ya in Sudest
(which precedes the focused item), a postposed particle si in Roviana, a
proclitic si- in Kokota, and three postposed particles in Longgu
(na('a), ga('a) and 'ua).

Is there a broader treatment of focus and/or emphasis particles in
Oceanic languages? I would like to know where Sankoff got the
information behind the quoted statement.

Thanks for any pointers.

John
--
John Brownie