[An-lang] Focus in Oceanic languages

John Brownie john_brownie at sil.org
Tue Aug 10 12:51:37 UTC 2021

I have had a few responses, though nobody has been able to help with the
Sankoff reference. None of them seem to be similar to what I have in
Mussau-Emira.

The particle in question is isaa (or possibly isa), and it is preposed
rather than postposed. It most often occurs with a demonstrative or
akapa 'all'. My feeling so far is that is some form of emphasis, but I'm
still working through my corpus to try to identify any discourse function.

Thanks for the help!
John
--
John Brownie