[An-lang] 'Visible' and 'invisible' demonstratives

Joshua and Amy josh.ruthamy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 01:49:51 UTC 2021

Jarai (Austronesian), like other Chamic languages, has a three-way
proximal-medial-distal distinction. The distal has sometimes been described
as "out of sight," which I simply accepted when I began my study. As I've
learned the language, however, I've realized that the distal is the
demonstrative used for the "other side" of something (the road, a river),
and the demonstrative used in situations where someone is going "somewhere
else." "Somewhere else" and "the other side" are indeed often out of sight,
but not necessarily. The "out of sightness" is accidental, not a component
of the meaning (in my view). So I would recommend that you do some testing
before accepting lexical entries at face value.

(Another Chamic language, Roglai I believe, has a proximal --
distal-definite -- distal-indefinite distinction (as described briefly by
Ernie Lee), which could also appear to encode out-of-sightness but in fact
probably does not.)

Josh
Joshua & RuthAmy Jensen
Ratanakiri, Cambodia
088-957-1791 (in Cambodia)
817-522-4383 (US number, also rings in Cambodia)