[An-lang] 'Visible' and 'invisible' demonstratives

ARNOLD Laura Laura.Arnold at ed.ac.uk
Mon Feb 8 10:18:05 UTC 2021

Dear Christoph,

Chapter 12 of my Ambel grammar goes into quite a bit of detail on demonstratives. There isn’t an ‘out-of-sight’ demonstrative, but you might be interested in the uses of andative hana. Roughly speaking, hana refers to entities moving away from the speaker, either spatially, or temporally (e.g. máni wa-hana ‘the bird from earlier’). More often than not, the entities referred to with hana are not in the immediate field of vision of the speaker – which gives the impression of an ‘out-of-sight’ function.

Grammar is here: https://laura-arnold.org/documents/Arnold_2018_AGrammarOfAmbel.pdf

All the best,
Laura

~~~
Laura Arnold – British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow
laura-arnold.org<https://www.laura-arnold.org/>

Room 1.13, Dugald Stewart Building
School of Philosophy, Psychology & Language Sciences
University of Edinburgh