Arabic-L:LING:translation of 9afaq response

Dilworth B. Parkinson Dilworth_Parkinson at byu.edu
Mon Dec 6 15:58:06 UTC 1999

1) Subject: translation of 9afaq response

Date: 06 Dec 1999
From: Charles McNulty <charliem at club-internet.fr>
Subject: translation of 9afaq response

'Afqa is a common term which can have several meanings, notably: the brief
emission of a sharp note in a close melodic sketch, often in thirds or
fourths, almost a short trill in thirds or fourths.  I think that the text
evoked here supposes that the note buzurk (mi) is obtained by a rapid
alternation of the second finger with the open string.(do)

(this is my translation of what Nidaa gave as his translation of this
musical term.  I'll only add that I love his compositions and playing. I
hope this is useful.) charles mcnulty