Arabic-L:LING:Needs old word for 'playing wrong note'

Sat Sep 30 18:36:32 UTC 2006

1) Subject:Needs old word for 'playing wrong note'

Date: 30 Sep 2006
From:Glen Cooper <glen_cooper at byu.edu>
Subject:Needs old word for 'playing wrong note'

Dear List Members:

      As part of my research in the Greek to Arabic translations of
scientific texts in the 9th C., I need to know if there is a word in
poetic,
old Arabic, that means “to play a wrong note (in music)” or “to be
out of
harmony” or “to make a cacophony.”  Do any of you know if there is a
single
word or phrase with this meaning?  If there is such a word, I would also
like to know whether this term could also be used for “to make a
mistake” in
the general sense.  Lastly, does the Arabic word KHATA’A “to make a
mistake”
have any inherent associations with music, such as to possibly mean
“to play
a wrong note?”

There is such a word in Greek that covers all these senses, and I expect
that Arabic has (or had) one also, but it's hard to find in the old
dictionaries unless you know what you're looking for already.

I would be very grateful if anyone could shed some light on my question.

Sincerely,

Glen Cooper
Department of History
2103 JFSB