Readings through November

Linnea Micciulla polyglot at BU.EDU
Tue Sep 20 03:26:19 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

I haven't had any specific reading suggestions from anyone, but I was
contacted offline by a list member from Egypt who was interested in "the
interconnections between bureaucracy and power," and specifically
bureaucrat-client interactions.  Does anyone have any suggestions for readings?

In the meantime, below is a reminder of this month's reading, and a couple
of suggestions for October and November.  The October suggestion is from
Sociological Quarterly, and Phil Graham has a pre-publication version of the
Journal of Language and Politics article on his website, so both of the
articles for October and November should be accessible to everyone on the
list.  Please let me know if you are having trouble finding anything!

Best,
Linnea

*******

SEPTEMBER:
Koller, V. (2005). "Critical discourse analysis and social cognition:
evidence from business media discourse." Discourse & Society 16(2):199-224.

OCTOBER:
THE SYMBOLIC CONSTRUCTION OF RUSSIA AND THE UNITED STATES ON RUSSIAN
NATIONAL TELEVISION. Philo C. Wasburn and Barbara Ruth Burke. The
Sociological Quarterly, Volume 38, Number 4, pages 669-686. 1997.

NOVEMBER:
Graham, P. & Luke, A. (2005). The language of neofeudal corporatism and the
war on Iraq. Journal of Language & Politics, 4 (1).  (Pre-publication
available here:
http://www.philgraham.net/Graham%20and%20Luke%20-%20Final%20L&P.pdf)