CDA: Identity and language

Cícero Barbosa cicerobarbosa at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 27 03:47:20 UTC 2005

Dear colleagues,

the idea that learning a new language produces some kind of change in
the learner's identity comes from a conception of identity as
something not fixed, not unitary, but rather multiple, constituted by
language. We can find this in Chris Weedon's book (Feminist Practice
and Poststructuralist Theory) and Stuart Hall's books. Even learners
who are in the classroom, in contexts where the target language is a
foreign language (not a second language, which is spoken/used in many
other contexts in that place), the new language may produce changes in
that person's identity. Kanavillil Rajagopalan also talks about it,
saying that the foreign language classroom is an arena for identity
clashes. What do you think about it? See you!

Cícero