CDA: Identity and language

Cícero Barbosa cicerobarbosa at GMAIL.COM
Tue Sep 27 04:02:35 UTC 2005

Hi colleagues,

I'm sorry for the message I sent some minutes ago. I sent it before I had
read your messages, so I guess I was too repetitive. WEll, I would like to
send you parts of the discourse of a participant in my researches on
language learning. I would like to know how you see it in terms of language
learning and identity:

Anita: *When I got into the classroom, I started to hear everyone speaking
English* [the target language]. *Then I got scared. I thought: "Oh, God,
they all can speak. I can't speak English at all. What if they ask me a
question?". I had a feeling to run away from there, but decided to stay. It
was a shame that at my age and after all the courses I've taken, I can't
speak this language".*
**
Do you think that it has anything to do with the student's identity being
shaken/at risk in the classroom? Now, read this other one:
 Grace: *I wish I could speak this language *[English, the target language
in the classroom] *as well as I speak my native language. But it is so hard
to me. I speak badly. Because of this, I prefer not to speak in front of
other people, or they may think I am a stupid adult. *
**
I would be glad to have your rich comments on it. Thanks,
Cícero