Pull out sequences of codes on coding tiers

Imac Maria Zambrana imaczambrana at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 15:48:02 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have a question about whether there is an efficient way to pull out
sequences of codes on coding tiers. For example, we have coded the
questions that a child asks and are interested in the frequency of the
different types of parental responses on the next parent coding tier.

We basically wish to be able to track two kinds of sequences of codes on
dependent tiers but for CHI/MOT or MOT/CHI, as follows:

1. To calculate the freq of instances where for example $Q:WWH on the %spa
dependent tier of *CHI *is followed* by $HIN:Q on the %spa dependent tier
of the *MOT.

2. To calculate the freq of instances where for example $S:A on the %acc
dependent tier of *CHI *is preceded* by $HIN:Q on the %spa dependent tier
of the *MOT.

We realize that we could KWAL each instance of the child's code +/- some
number of utterances and have also been recommended to try some combination
of KWAL +w2 and COMBO to see if this could give us what we need, both of
which we'll try out. However, we are wondering if this could be done more
automatically with some other type of command?

Thanks for your help!

Imac Zambrana