info

Tue Nov 3 19:19:35 UTC 1998

I have met people in Northern California who understand and speak Jargon
with good proficiency. There was obviously some Jargon usage at Smith =
River
and at least some words from Jargon were used in Northern California by
nearly all tribes. I was reading through the journal of George Gibbs when
he was the interpreter for Redick McKee in 1851? and he was able to
communicate enough to organize treaties. Gibbs had learned his Jargon =
from
when he was in Astoria.

Also In another travel journal there was mention of Wasco indians at
Sutter's Fort, These same Wascos fought with the American Army  in =
Southern
California to throw out the Californians. From the journal they =
apparently
were in no hurry to return home and go along just fine in the Sacramento
Valley. I wonder if Jargon was used to a limited extent further South?