A couple of CJ - to - English loans? (fwd)

Wed Nov 4 04:18:54 UTC 1998

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 98 15:03:15 PST
=46rom: barbara harris <GRADMA at UVVM.UVIC.CA>
To: David Robertson <drobert at TINCAN.TINCAN.ORG>
Subject: Re: A couple of CJ - to - English loans?

Klahowya (I *can't* spell it the way you do!) Dave:

Just got to my e-mail for the first time this week. I've lived in =
Victoria
for 37 years now, and have always been told that skookum house "jail" is =
the
equivalent of "strong house" in English. And yes, that "the sticks" does =
indeed
come from the Jargon; the _Dictionary of Canadianisms on Historical =
Principles_
indicates the connection, and also notes that Stick Indians were forest =
dweller
s as opposed to the people of the coast whereas a stick Indian (no =
capital S)
was a native from the backwoods or ignorant of city life. Just how you =
would
indicate this in speech is something else - like the character in P.G.
Wodehouse who insisted that his name was pronounced "ffinch-ffarrowmere" =
not
"Finch- Farrowmere"!

Barbara Harris