A couple of CJ - to - English loans? (fwd)

Wed Nov 4 11:27:56 UTC 1998

At 08:18 PM 11/3/98 -0800, David Robertson wrote:

> [...]
Victoria
>for 37 years now, and have always been told that skookum house "jail" is=
 the
>equivalent of "strong house" in English.=20

And "skookum lacasette" is as "strongbox"..........but as far as skookum
house, what about the provenance of "big house"......could that very =
common
Englishism have a northwest origin?

And yes, that "the sticks" does indeed
>come from the Jargon; the _Dictionary of Canadianisms on Historical =
Principles_
>indicates the connection, and also notes that Stick Indians were forest =
dweller
>s as opposed to the people of the coast whereas a stick Indian (no =
capital S)
>was a native from the backwoods or ignorant of city life. Just how you =
would
>indicate this in speech is something else - like the character in P.G.
>Wodehouse who insisted that his name was pronounced "ffinch-ffarrowmere"=
 not
>"Finch- Farrowmere"!

Which opens up a completely off-topic subject; the bizarre prononciation =
of
some English names......Featherstone-Haugh =3D "Fanshaw", St. John Smith =
=3D
"Sinjin Smith", and Beauchamp =3D "Beecham" being my favourites........

Also, I got an e-mail tonight from one of my friends up at Shalalth, who
used "Kalhwa7acw" in his greeting.......I didn't dare ask him if that was
St'at'imcets or Chinook, but it looks like it might be a variant of
"Klahowya", doesn't it?
Mike Cleven
ironmtn at bigfoot.com
http://members.home.net/ironmtn/