info -- Geo. Gibbs' knowledge of the Jargon

Wed Nov 4 20:39:16 UTC 1998

Also check out a book of essays by Trafzer called something like =
Northwest
Treaty... something... something... I'll try to find the exact name and
post it.

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, David Robertson wrote:

> Hello / LhaXawy at m!
>=20
> Last week's reading brought to my attention [Territorial governor and =
man
> of puzzling morals] Isaac Ingalls Stevens' 2-volume biography.  It was
> written by his son Hazard Stevens around 1905.  There are several =
mentions
> of the interpreting that went on at the weirdly hurried treaty-making =20
> sessions in present-day Washington, Idaho and Montana.  Gibbs comes up
> quite often, and I wish that I had my photocopies with me right now.  I
> believe it's either him or Shaw who is said to have had the reputation =
as
> the only white man in the country who could form his thoughts into =
Jargon
> sentences as they came to him.
>=20
> It's pretty darn interesting to piece together all this information =
about
> speakers of Chinook Jargon, isn't it?  I mean, for some of them we have
> pretty detailed biographies, and that helps us to decode the =
life-history
> of the language itself.
>=20
> Best,
> Dave

"laska-lulu yaka kanamaqst" (we carry it together)

 "I am alive." Scott Momaday=20

"We must continue to struggle until we defeat those who have crowned
themselves, those who have helped to take the land from others, those who
make much money with the labor of people like us, those who mock us in
their estates."=20
>>From the:Fourth Declaration of the Lancandon Jungle, 1/1/96.

"haias-masi" (many thanks)

David Lewis