Nayka chxi email address

Tony Johnson tonyj at INAME.COM
Fri Nov 13 22:49:53 UTC 1998

LaXayEm Dave,

Uk-san nayka Latuwa khapa "T!waX san-chaku" (our preschool) pi nesayka
"Before and After School program."  Nesayka munk tenes-"video" khapa
nesayka tenas.  Ukuk tenas Laska wawa chInUk pus uk video.  Kanawi dreht
Lush Laska.

Nayka "chInUk-lu?lu" yaka dreht Lush wEXt.  KwanIsEm Laska chaku
manak!i-Lush.

Nayka tEmtEm nayka kEmtEks Ikta mayka munk-c!Em kikwEli.  Weyk nayka
tIki /uw/ wEXt, pi nakya tEmtEm Lush pus nesayka munk-Xluwima ukuk
c!Em.  Lush pus nesayka munk-c!Em /u/ pus /uw/ pi /U/ pus /u/.  (/u/
kakwa khapa 'moon,' pi /U/ kakwa khapa 'book.')

Pus "schwa," nayka dreht tIki /E/.  Boas yaka munk-c!Em kakwa pi
weyk-q!El ukuk.

Dreht ayaq nayka munk ukuk c!Em.  Nayka dreht-sIk-tEmtEm pus nayka munk
wik-Lush c!Em.

LaXayEm--Tony

Quick Translation--

Today I went to our preschool and our Before and After School program.
We made a little video with the children.  The children talked Chinook
on the video.  They all are very good.

My Chinook class is very good also.  They are always getting better.

I believe I understood what you wrote below.  I don't like /uw/ either,
and I thank we should change that letter.  We should write /u/ for /uw/
and /U/ for /u/.  (/u/ like that in 'moon' and U like that in 'book')

For "schwa" I like /E/.  Boas wrote it like that and it is easy.

I wrote this quickly.  I'm sorry if I wrote poorly.

Aloha--Tony