More research stuff

Mon Nov 16 20:45:58 UTC 1998

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, David Gene Lewis wrote:

> Shaker religion was spread through native communities through the use of
> the Jargon. EELLS was know to use it, as well as Wickersham, Mann, and
> Slocum. The sermons were conducted in Jargon in at least most communities,
> and there is reference to the problems of translation of Christian songs
> into native languages.

I happen to be reading Myron Eells' "Indians of Puget Sound" (do I have
the title right?) -- that big ol' book of his observations.  It's
mentioned more than once that he was no kind of "linguist", meaning he
couldn't for the life of him learn the native languages of the Indian
people he was missionarizing.  *Instead*, he used the Chinook Jargon.

>  How much was the spread of the Shaker Religion aided
> by Chinook Jargon and how much was Chinook Jargon's (recent?) spread aided
> by the
> Shaker Religion?

As for the spread of the religion, let me refer again to Eells' book.  He
gives an account of talking with the man who originally had the visions
which were told of, spread, and formed the basis of the Shaker religion.
He could only have talked with this (Indian) man using the Jargon, I
reckon, and the rapid propagation of the religion could most likely have
happened via the use of Chinook Jargon.  For the Native people to have
used their tribal languages for this purpose would have slowed things down
considerably, no?

> Does this point to the Shaker religion helping spread Jargon?
I would love to know!

Best,
Dave