The use of House

Tue Sep 22 06:56:37 UTC 1998

<3.0.5.32.19980921231203.00881eb0 at mail.nvcr1.bc.wave.home.com>

>At 11:12 PM 9/21/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>Mike,
>>lab is the Makah word for rum or lum in Chinook Jargon.  Some of the
>>borrowings have undergone a m to b shift over time.  For instance moos =
moos
>>is boos boos in Makah, etc. Labowas is rum house.  Also, every in NB =
one
>>says Opooch for bottom, I think Nisquallis say Opich.   I notice Gills =
has
>>Opooch as an option pronunciation for opoots.  In Makah the work for =
don't
>>is wee!k , notice the k is glottalized.  Gills has wik, wake as =
options, and
>>may be single syllables rather than two.  No one has paid attention to
>>whether the k is glottalized.
>
>Gibbs' options appear to have been the same, i.e. there was no intent =
for
"wake" to be two syllables; rather the "-e" is meant to indicate a "long =
a"
vowel.  At the workshop this last weekend Tony Johnson used something =
like
"wek" - can't remember his preferred spelling - and his final consonant =
may
indeed have been glottalized - I'm not sure what that means but there =
were
at least three professional linguists at the workshop who are also =
members
of this listserve so they'll be able to tell you (Barbara? David? =
Fritz?).
It wasn't a regular 'k', anyway......

>Also is some Chinook songs leaned in NB the
>>word kwas is !kwas  (i.e. the k is glottalized).  In Makah the word Hum=
 is
>>the polite or feminine word for shub.   ees (pronounced like peace) is =
the
>>polite word for Chugh-shilt or urinate.  ees is used when women go.  Is=
 ees
>>a Chinook Jargon word or similar to anything you have heard.
>
>Not that I can think of, at least what's in the mainstream sources; =
maybe
Tony's people have something similar.....

>  Youtl as in
>>chakoo yootl or become proud, is spelled as kl in most books, but I =
believe
>>it was actually  pronounced as a tl.  In a song the yootl is pronounced
>>softly for aesthetics.  But one old timer pronounced yootl as =
yoo!tl-lth.
>>The tl was glottalized when speaking and he added a lth or lateral L to=
 the
>>end.  Don't know what that means. =20
>
>Tony made it pretty clear to us over the weekend that the "kl"
prononciation isn't a good one as far as Grande Ronde folks are =
concerned;
that "tl" is closer to the sound they use in Grande Ronde, which is
something like the Welsh "ll", only a bit stronger I think ("plosive"?), =
as
the Welsh sound is _very_ soft when done properly.  Nearly all lexicon
words using "kl" are actually this "tl"/"ll"/"lth" sound, it seems, which
the occasional one having some kind of emphatic sonic modification, such =
as
your glottalization.

>>Wagon in CJ is tsiktsik, or chik chik in Makah it is !tseek !tseek =
(i.e. the
>>ts is glottalized) and is definitely from CJ.  Is this an original
>>pronounciation that is preserved because NB is isolated.  The name =
refers to
>>the noise wagon wheels make as they turn. They Squeek Squeek as they =
turn
>>around. Motor boats are put put but I do not know the exact way to =
pronounce
>>it and it has been a long time.  This also may be of modern Chinook =
origin
>>or just the way Makah named things--by some outstanding characteristic.
>>This may give us some ways to create new Chinook words for new objects =
by
>>understanding how or why the original words were made.
>
>Put put - that's pretty interesting, and makes me really wonder if the
common English usage "putt-putt" I've heard since I was a kid is actually=
localism that has its roots in Chinook.  Anyone out there know if
"putt-putt" is used in other parts of the continent, and if so at what =
time
it made its appearance there?  If it's out there and the origin outside =
of
the Northwest is fairly recent (say, after the Klondike era), the chances
that it's of 19th Century Jargon origin seem quite good......Terry - you
know lots of nautical types....any comments?

>>  I believe Makah could have really influenced Chinook especially =
because
>>most north-south and east-west travel and trade had to pass through =
Makah
>>territory.  Around the 'great breast' (i.e. the tip of the Olympic
>>Penninsula) the very tip of which was called Tatoosh.  Now Tatoosh =
Island.
>>In Chinook this is totoosh.  This name was even established by the time=
 the
>>Spanish had traveled through and drew pictures of the Chief Tatoosh.  =
Some
>>elders say the origin of the name for tatoosh was lthoo-lthootch which =
is
>>Makah for thunderbird.  But 'breast' sounds reasonable especially
>>considering the topography.
>
>Now _that's_ really interesting.  Is there any possibility there is a
mythic connection between the name/story of the Thunderbird and anything =
do with milk and/or breasts?  Or is there any specific myth associating =
the
Thunderbird to Tatoosh Island?  Does Tatoosh Island "resemble" a breast =
in
any way, such as the manner in which Siwash Rock at Stanley Park is said =
resemble a man, or more particularly a man's genitalia?  It doesn't seem
likely that the cartographical appearance of the peninsula was "known" to
Contact-era native peoples (unless they had a good gander at Vancouver's
charts while he was around); or could this name even have been applied by
the cartographers themselves upon learning the Jargon/local word for
"breast"........but still, the most interesting part of this still =
appears
to be the thunderbird-tatoosh connection; I get a really strong feeling
there's something to this, although I don't know enough to even begin
suggesting exactly what.......

>>Well Friend.  Alta Nika klatawa kopa mukowas kehwa hyas olo.=20
>
>Naika weght........
Mike Cleven
ironmtn at bigfoot.com
http://members.home.net/ironmtn/