The use of House

Mon Sep 21 22:29:01 UTC 1998

At 02:37 PM 9/21/98 -0700, you wrote:
>In Neah Bay we grew up using the Humm as the nice word for 'stinky, =
feces,
>messy diapers',  we anglosized the term by saying, 'the baby is hummy' =
or
>other terms.  We combined this with a suffix for house which is either =
Makah
>or a borrowing from Chinook Jargon to make the term huma-owas or =
humowas.
>Shuba-owas or shubowas for shit house.  Makah for house is ba-as it is
>possible the owas is a suffix for house or a borrowing of house from
>Chinook.  Any way -owas makes a neat way to add house to other words.
>Baku-owas for store, labowas for tavern, nanitchowas for movie theater,
>muckowas for restaruant, etc.=20

By the look of it _all_ those terms are of Jargon origin - mahkook house,
labotai house (labar house?), nanitch house, muckamuck house.

Tony Johnson at the workshop this last weekend let us in on "humm
sakolleks" - stinky pants, for a baby's diapers.  Humm house or =
"humowass"
makes perfect sense in the same regard.....a lot more obvious than
"klahanie house" (out house).

Mike C.

Mike Cleven
ironmtn at bigfoot.com