[Fwd: Re: Quick question...]

jim at adisoft-inc.com jim at adisoft-inc.com
Tue Sep 29 22:57:41 UTC 1998

Here is the list for the "e-mail" equivalent of the sound chart.  Any
opinions or suggestions?

Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 15:33:59 -0700
=46rom: Tony Johnson <tonyj at iname.com>
To: jim at adisoft-inc.com
Subject: Re: Quick question...

Qhata mayka Jim?  Pi qhata mEsayka kanawi hlaksta?

Here's my opinion regarding a orthography for our chInuk list.  Why
don't you forward this and we'll ask for people's opinions.  So...

Qhata mEsayka tEmtEm?

Proposed	English
symbol		equivalent
		(where possible)

?		uh?oh
a		father
ay		sky
aw		cow
b		bill
c		ts as in cats
c!		ejective 'c'
ch		church
ch!		ejective 'ch'
d		dog
E		about, but
eh		bet
e		say
f 		father
g		get
h		happy
I		bit
i		beat
k		anchor
kh		cow
k!		ejective 'k'
kw		queen (but not aspirated)=20
kwh		queen	=09
kw!		ejective 'kw'
l		love
hl		lateral fricative=20
thl!		lateral ejective affricate
m		mom
n		no
o		no
p		spit
ph		pit
p!		ejective 'p'
q		uvular (deep) 'k'
qh		aspirated uvular (deep) 'k'
q!		ejective uvular (deep) 'k'
qw		uvular (deep) 'k' with lips rounded / deep 'queen'=20
qwh		aspirated uvular (deep) 'k' with lips rounded
r		robber
s		sink
sh		shoot
t		style
th		tot
t!		ejective 't'
uw		moon
u		book, put
uy		buoy (depending on how you say this)
w		water
x		velar fricative
xw		rounded velar fricative
X		uvular fricative
Xw		rounded uvular fricative
y		year

Jim Holton wrote:
>=20
> Qhata mayka?  Nayka dret hlush.  I am trying to write down a number of
> words with your e-mail version of the alphabet and I have a couple of
> questions.  Based on the "Chinuk Wawa" sound charter I got
>=20
> "iyxt" for one
> "ikta" for what?
> "peypa" for paper
> "uwlaliy" for berry
> "hluk" for broke
>=20
> dret hlush?  Let me know. Hayash masi, Jim

So these should look like...

ixt
Ikta
phepha
uwlali
hluk

Ayaq nayka munk c!Em, so if there are any mistakes here forgive me.=20
WeXt qhata mEsayka tEmtEm?

HlaXayEm--Tony