attachments; lists

David Lewis coyotez at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Fri Aug 27 04:30:06 UTC 1999

>Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:32:41 -0700
>To: John Schilke <schilkej at OHSU.EDU>
>From: David Lewis <coyotez at oregon.uoregon.edu>
>Subject: Re: attachments; lists
>
>MS# 3532; National Anthropological Archives, Washington D.C.; copied from
the  Southwest Oregon Research Project II Archive; Knight Library,
University of Oregon; Transcription by David Lewis, Graduate Student,
Anthropology Department, UO.

>Wailesboro, Indiana
>Dec. 18-1903
>Smithsonian Inst.
>Department Ethnology Washington D.C.
>
>Supt. Sir:-
>I hereby take the liberty to send you a very poor translation of Byron's
famous poem, "The Destruction of Sennacherib" from English to Chinook
Jargon. I saw free to admit that is very far from classical but was
rendered some years ago at an idle hour and has not since received any
revision. Knowing that the Bureau was ever ready to obtain anything
relative to Aboriginal Linguistics it recurred to me that you might find a
place for it in your collection. My meager knowledge of Chinook Jargon was
obtained from an Oregonian who delighted in speaking the lingo and taught
me some of it. The language seems to be different in different localities,
as my informant stated that he had difficulty in conversing with Indians of
British America, or at least with natives of some sections, of the northern
coast. If the Bureau of Ethnology has any publications relating to Chinook
Jargon obtainable I should be pleased if you will advise me as to how I may
proceed to obtain a copy. If you have any copies if your annual reports
which you care to distribute I shall be grateful for any copies you may see
fit to furnish me, as I am greatly interested in Linguistics & Ethnology as
well as Aboriginal Remains and other Archaeology. I beg also to refer you
to clippings or rather separates from the Annual Report of the Indians
Academy of Science 1901, containing two papers prepared by me. As soon as
the weather permits I expect to explore an "Indian" mound and will report
to you in detail. Asking pardon for my presumption. I am yours truly,